Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Modern (ized) Glamour

This seems to be the era of gorgeous boutique hotels. I, for one, am digitally enjoying them from afar, if for no other reason than they provide inspiration for the imagination. 

Hotel du Marc was recently re-opened after 4 years of renovation in Reims, France. Owned by the Veuve Clicquot, the famous champagne house, it is used exclusively for their guests, so chances are, we will not see it in person! 

The Hotel was built in 1840. With its renovations, it is now able to provide its own heating and air conditioning, thanks to an underground water table serving as its geothermal source.
It is a true mix of the old and the new; custom art pieces sit side by side with refined antiques- my favorite way to decorate.




The dining room paneling was previously painted white. The wood was restored and painted black, which provides quite a backdrop for the frescoes depicting scenes of life in Champagne.

Black + gold


I love the way they decided to disguise the front entry's cloak room with this mirrored wall.
Designed by Bruno Moinard 

 The ombre carpet on the stairs leading to guest rooms fades from white to burgundy, reminiscent of the chalk caves of Reims and the company's Pinot grapes.

The vine-like wood sculpture by Pablo Reinoso evokes the roots of the vines in the fields close by.


The exterior's shell marks from WW I

Gilding and paneling- lovely!

Love the grey and yellow combo with the painted wood's patina.

[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh and ahhhh...and sigh of pleasure. I see what you mean by enjoying them from afar! Stunning images.

    Veronica
    Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Oh my! That was such a feast for the eyes and a treat for my soul. I love every single detail. How about that dining room? Oh, how I'd love to sit there for a fun and fancy dinner. Better to enjoy, even if from afar than to not enjoy at all...thanks for sharing! XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post. I would love to stay there. Did you see that amazing chandelier?

    Cheers, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A feast for our eyes and great inspiration. I love the modern juxtaposed against the old.
    Warm regards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree with Hamptontoes, what a lovely place for dinner with all the friends. xx's to you Annie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely, this place is on my list when I next time pass Reims, whenever that will be....

    Fantastic!

    Great post!
    karin

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...