Sunday, January 23, 2011

Quince and the Water

Have you ever forced branches before? You will be surprised at how easy it is.






Three weeks ago, these quince branches were brown and looking quite barren. We clipped them neatly (leaving no stubs) from the tree and placed them in a bucket with enough water to go up about 25% of the stem length. If the stem is thick, smash the end with a hammer to encourage water absorption. Then we covered the branches with lightweight plastic and positioned the bucket in a sunny window. Every few days, we checked it to make sure the bucket had enough water in it and gave it a few good spritzes of water to keep that humidity level up. 



Can you see the tiny buds above?

Take a walk in your yard and look for flowering branches, such as cherry, quince, pussy willow  and crab apple trees.



  They are such a great pick-me-up in the middle of winter.



Connecting up to Cindy at My Romantic Home.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the inspiration. I shall try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a quince tree in my yard and had no idea I could force the brances to bloom. Can't wait to try this! Thank you.

    Tamra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Ann
    How clever!!.. I wouldn't of thought it possible... looks lovely and you must so appreciate this in winter...

    Thanks for your lovely comment... you're a sweetheart... Have a great week.. ciao xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see somebody do this, I mean to give it a try. You have made it look so easy that I plan to take a walk in my yard tomorrow and see what I can find. Very pretty post and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...