Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Homegrown

"To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion, to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly, to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart, to bear all cheerfully, to all bravely await occasions, hurry never. In a word, to let the spiritual unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common. This is to be my symphony." 
William Henry Channing (1810-1884)


These are the words suggested to us by the lovely Marsha over at Splenderosa for her very first By Invitation Only blog party. Asked if we could comment on the quote in whichever way we felt best exemplified our style actually turned out to be harder than I thought. I decided to answer with my photos.

I very much try to live my life as Mr. Channing described. I see examples of the elegance and symphony with nature in my garden every day. While I am all about color and flowers in both my home and work, I thought I'd share with you the natural beauty of the subtle, quiet plants that we take for granted through the seasons. 

Fern fronds

Tree peony bud

Hostas on the left and variegated lily of the valley on the right

Jack in the pulpit

Ferns in birch log

Border with lettuce in foreground and arugula in back

Beautiful hostas
Hops

Magnolia foliage- so lush!


Olive tree

OK- I had to include a dried hydrangea wreath with its pastel colors!

Even in winter!



Please join my friends and come on the blog walk with me!


MARSHA HARRIS

YVONNE PRATT

CHARLOTTA WARD

GREET LEFEVRE

CATHERINE ROBINSON

ANNIE BOUTERSE

COTY FARQUHAR

DEBORAH PETERSON

DUSTJACKET ATTIC

SHARI MILLER

TINA

MONA THOMPSON

FIFI FLOWERS

JACQUELINE MUMFORD

KARIN JANSKY

VICKI ARCHER

CECILIA GONZALEZ

RENEE GRANIER & ANGELA FOSTER

JANELL

LISA


CHRISTINA FLUEGGE




Thank you, Marsha!

17 comments:

  1. Ann, Soooo beautiful. You indeed live these words and surround yourself in beauty that is carefully cultivated by you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect pairing of words and images....xv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each HOSTIA is such a beauty!

    Greetings from Germany!
    Franka

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful garden you have...lovely interpretation of William Henry Channing's words.
    Catherine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie - I think if I could look at only one type of image for the rest of my life it would be of green and white plants:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Annie,
    Your photographs are stunning and show us that, the best things in life are free and, the trappings of materialistic things mean nothing. I am one of the 'By Invitation Only' gang and it is a privilege to be included with you. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie, such beautiful images that make us remember to stop and take notice of the beauty around us.
    Angela and Renee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie I am new to blogging and have just found the most wonderfully inspiring community telling the most beautiful stories - yours is one of the best and have added you to my list - hope you don't mind. Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful interpretation of the quote. I love that you used your own beloved photos.

    Did you make that Hydrangea wreath? It's stunning.

    With love from Sweden.

    x Charlotta
    Space for Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such amazing garden and wonderful post too:-)*
    Thank you so very much for share it with us,dear Annie!
    P.S.
    I would like to make some nice post about Marsha's inspirational invitation....

    Have a very fabulous day,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos! Hosta's leaves are so stunning.
    Hydrangeas are my autumn favorites!/Anja

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beauty of plants and nature never ceases to amaze me. Thank you for capturing the essence of this beauty through your lens and sharing it with us. Salut.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just simply beautiful - nature at its best!
    xxxkarin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Words to live by....
    Love all your pics, especially the ferns in a birch log!

    I'm your newest follower and would love for you to follow me.
    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Annie, this is just beautiful & is indeed a perfect interpretation of our theme. Thank you so so much for participating and making our 1st event a smashing success. I think we will have lots of women loving what we do and will come back time & again to visit. Cruising along the wild Alaskan coastline, I completely realize the perfection of Mother Nature...left completely untouched she is perfect, of course. Sending love, sweetie.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely sense of tranquility and peace come through with those words!! One feels settled and content just reading them. May I repost them (and link back to your blog) in a future blog post of mine?

    Another set of words that has the same calming effect on me, set in the form of a prayer by John Greenleaf Whittier:

    Drop Thy still dews of quietness til all our strivings cease.
    Take from our souls the strain and stress,
    And let our ordered lives confess
    The beauty of Thy peace.

    Thanks for posting, Ann!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...