Friday, December 9, 2011

HoHoHo Cards



Do you remember back when you were little, standing in front of the Christmas tree for the annual holiday family photo? Or in front of the house after your dad proudly displayed his decorating with lights? We thought we were special because we had a giant Santa Claus sitting on our front porch. It was a magical time. 

We used the family photo to insert into our Christmas cards. That is, back when we mailed at least a hundred cards to our friends and family. I would love to unearth a photo of our family for your hearty laughter- with our bangs cut just an inch below our hairline and out patent leather Mary Janes. Gone are those days!


If you happen to be visiting New York City, you can revisit the Christmas cards of old at the Bard Graduate Center: Decorative Arts, Design History, Material Culture on West 86th Street. The Center is a graduate research institute committed to studying the cultural history of the material world. Between September 21 and December 31, 2011, they are hosting en exhibition of vintage Christmas cards from the late nineteenth century to the end of the 1950s. It is organized by Kenneth L. Ames, a member of the BGC faculty and graduate students at the center.   

 





The accompanying book, American Christmas Cards 1900-1960, is available to purchase 
 here.


If I find a family holiday photo from my youngest days, I'll post it. In the meantime, I would love to hear about your holiday memories!

[via]

3 comments:

  1. Lovely cards. Believing in Santa was the best! Leaving the Christmas cake and glass of milk, to find just a few crumbs left in the morning. No wonder Santa was a bit overweight, Christmas cake at every house he went to!
    Still haven't figured out how he got into the house when we didn't have a chimney !! Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Annie!! My youngest granddaughter is coming over this weekend and we will make cloved oranges , as I did when a little girl!

    The 12 Days of Holiday Giveaways!! The French Basketeer has a very special offering right now and there are more gifts open to enter!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful. I’m sure I recognise some of these cards! The older I get the more I revel in nostalgia. I don't necessarily think of the past as the "good old days", it is just that I have a greater appreciation for the history that has gone before us, both within and outside the family.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...