Saturday, December 3, 2011

Something Old, New and Both Delicious


Having the weekend off is a rare treat and I have been focusing on preparing my home for the holidays.
As I go "shopping" in my storage for the Christmas decor that I would like to use this year, it never fails to bring chuckles and fond memories. I have enough for several households!

I've decided to do a little baking, with little being the operative word when just 2 adults live here. When the crew arrives home in a few weeks, all systems will be in full gear though. But, right now, the Gingerbread Squares recipe in the December 2011 issue of House & Home (Canada) is beckoning me to try it, and so I shall. The dried /candied fruit addition sounds yummy. Would you like to join me? Here is the recipe:


Gingerbread Squares

                 1/2 cup unsalted butter                    1 cup sugar
                 1 large egg                                      1/4 cup molasses
                 1.5 tsp. regular coffee                      1 tsp. ground cinnamon
                 1 tsp. ground ginger                         1/2 tsp. ground cloves
                 1 tsp. baking soda                            1/4 tsp. salt
                 2 cups all purpose flour                    1/2 cup golden raisins
                 1/2 cup dries apricots, c                   1/4 cup chopped candied ginger
                 2 tbsp. icing sugar (for dusting)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9" x 9" baking pan. Cream butter with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, molasses and coffee until well blended.
2. Mix or sift dry ingredients together, then stir into wet batter. Mix in fruit. Press batter (it will be sticky) into buttered pan.
3. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until just starting to crackle on top. Slice into squares, let cool, then dust with icing sugar. Makes 24
 
I am also sharing my mother's still wonderful recipe for Sour Cream Cinnamon Twists. Their yeast and cinnamon scent wafts deliciously through the house and causes a lineup in the kitchen when they are removed from the oven. The recipe comes from my mom's ancient Betty Crocker cookbook, I believe from the 50's.





OK, now it's your turn. What is your favorite holiday recipe?
 [1,2-3]


5 comments:

  1. These both sound so delicious!
    We make a traditional Russian Napoleon cake for the holidays..it is like a mille-feuille, except the layers are drenched with the custard...rich and fabulous! This is why we only make it once a year :)
    A beautiful week-end to you,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound yummy Annie! Must try them. Is that your pine cone wreath, I LOVE it!
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie I can really taste them and im just off to bed so I cant !! enjoy fay xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the simple little pine cone wreath on the blue door. Just beautiful. I make the best cornbread dressing on the planet, and love baking
    during the holidays. Merry Christmas, Annie & Pieter...see you at the party on Tuesday !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The table filled with candy has become one of the most popular wedding favors in recent years. As with any idea, once it has been done a bunch of times, it can lose some of the "wow" factor that every bride wants for her wedding. Try these fresh designs for wedding candy bars to ensure that your sweets table is as fantastic as it is tasty.


    byron bay wedding packages

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...