Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Art in Stone: Jeffrey Bale

A few months ago, I was introduced to the beautiful mosaics of Jeffrey Bale. I don't remember the referral source, but I do remember the awe I felt when I saw his work. 


Inspired by his extensive travels, Jeffrey creates spaces, paths and outdoor rooms, as well as entire gardens.


An outdoor rug with such intricacy...


His mosaics have a meditative quality about them, like a ripple in a pond. Can't you just imagine how smooth the round stones must feel to your feet?

As you can see, the stones are inserted, if you will, on their sides, so that most of the stone is deep within, assuring its permanence in the earth. The stones are inserted into mortar and need to be placed within the relatively short time it takes for the mortar to set up.


I see bits of Morocco and Africa and the Middle East.


Even native American and Mayan...


Each unique and fascinating...


Visit Jeffrey Bale's website here to enjoy more! 
And his blog is also an inspiring must read.
His book, The Gardens of Jeffrey Bale, can be purchased here.

[via]

5 comments:

  1. I would love to have something like this in my garden - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine the time and patience it took to create these. Love the outdoor rugs.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...