Friday, June 3, 2011

A Fox and a Flower

Being a life long city/suburb girl, I am used to the run-of-the-mill critters scurrying about. The deer have invaded as of the last three years and occasionally one hears of a coyote spotting, but usually that is a bit further out from the burbs. Yesterday morning, as I was preparing to leave home, I heard this rather awful bark/yelp. Many times.  At first I thought it was a cat in distress, but not quite.


When I ventured out to take a look, I was rather startled to see the fox. I wasn't even sure that is what it was at first, but recalled a fox sighting two weeks ago in our neighborhood.  He looked at me and I looked at him. Yikes! Turns out he was aiming for a neighborhood cat, which darted out of the bushes and headed into our yard, Mr. Fox quickly following. I dashed into the garage and closed the door. They continued on, the cat winning and escaping. Mr. Fox casually crossed the street and headed to the next neighborhood, snooping along the way.



Later in the afternoon as I was running errands, I was a bit embarrassed to do this, but screeched to a halt as I drove by this gorgeous peony bush in a random front yard. The Coral Charm peonies were perfect, absolutely perfect. This particular variety of peony actually delightfully fades over the period of four to five days. The older the bloom gets, the lighter it becomes, which you can see in the uppermost (and oldest) bloom.




Last year I did a post about them here.


Across the street from the Coral Charm peony home was this lush climbing rose in a most unusual color. One does not see orange-turning-to-yellow roses very often. Quite the colorful street! 



Do you screech to a halt during drive-bys for anything in particular? 
I can't be the only one!


6 comments:

  1. There is a house near mine that has a bright, hot pink peony bush. I'm thinking of going out and taking photos of it while it is still in full bloom. We have many neighbors with snowball bushes too. It seems once a year, the fox in our neighborhood forgets momentarily where she hid her kits. the noise she makes looking for them is awful! We have also had to bear proof our fence as much as possible (it has muddy bear paw prints on the gate and scratch marks form his/her? claws) because the 'locals' like to use our backyard as a thoroughfare. I think I see more wild life just driving down my street than I do when I'm in the mountains.
    Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see wildlife wandering about on the streets, the other day I noticed a very slow traffic coming from work, the reason, a big moose at the gas station, police had to shot him with tranquilizers, but it caused a big commotion. Then during the weekend we were driving by a small town near Aspen and saw a fox too, I couldn't take a picture of him because there were more cars behind us and he was a little bit scared, instead I took a picture of a "burro" munching on some grass by the road!. I love climbing roses and will look for peonies, I have never seen one in "person".
    P.S. My peony fragrance is shipping today, hopefully I can be soaping next week with it. Have a lovely weekend Annie.
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peonies do so well in the USA we have nothing like the variety up here.
    Skies make me screech to a halt...the light here is quite astounding and sometimes particularly at dusk there will be the most stunning cloud colours with the soft blue northern light working its magic and I have been known to weep (such a girl) at the colour and light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie we used to have foxes by the canyon in Mission Hills San Diego. My neighbor would even feed them!

    Come and enter my amazing $250 Giveaway from Tracy Porter!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing. Yes, whenever I see something really special I'll drive around the block to see it again. My daughter always has a camera with her and SHE takes pics too. However, I'm glad you did, those flowers are beautiful. Hopefully, Mr. Fox returned to his own home. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful these flowers look. The fox is an added bonus. I visited a fairytale castle yesterday with a handpainted fox on one of the walls:
    http://yonksnews.blogspot.com/2011/06/out-and-about-fairytale-castle-and.html

    All the walls are handpainted - you will love it!
    Dianne
    OXOX

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...