Monday, May 23, 2011

Blanc et Vert

It's asparagus time! 
Being an asparagus lover, this time of year is the highlight for asparagus at the Farmers' Markets. I happen to prefer the green, but my Dutch husband grew up with the white asparagus, which is white because they continue to mound up the soil around the spears so that they remain white. Cooking white asparagus takes longer than the green; it is slightly milder in taste.


We enjoyed the first locally grown asparagus this week. 
I often prepare extra and combine the spears with a multi-grain bread for my lunch sandwich.

Last night we enjoyed our spring asparagus risotto. Mmmm... try it!

I have never grown asparagus. Have you? 
I'd love to hear about it as we are considering creating a small plot for it this year.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful summer vegtable dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe - I didn't know the difference between white and green!
    :-) XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love asparagus. And, these photographs are beautiful.xx's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe, I'm gonna have to try it, we love asparagus at home, have you ever tried the creme of asparagus? I have never seen the white ones, this is the first time.
    Thank you Annie
    XXXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment, I have answered on my blog! Take care.
    Dianne
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, the risotto looks really yummy. I will have to print that one out and save it! Thanks.

    ciaonewportbeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! It's asparagus time! I definitely prefer the white one. Best for me from the Kaiserstuhl region, South of Germany. But fortunately we can find them also at our local weekly market at a farmers stand. And I prefer the rather thick ones, so much more flavour.
    I always mix the water with salt and sugar, the sugar takes the kind of 'bitterness' out of the asparagus and I add a good piece of butter to the water.
    Bon Apetit!
    karin

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...