Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gold on Glass

Glass + Gold = Stunning. 
A gorgeous example of verre eglomisé, a technique that involves applying gold leaf (or other precious metals, such as palladium leaf) on the back side of the glass, is presently being presented in the study of the Elle Decor Modern Life Concept House. I featured the same room, designed by Sara Story, last week here, but focused on the lustrous Venetian plaster and gilded peacock door.

Miriam Ellner, the undisputed master of verré eglomise in the United States, is the artist who created the serene glass scrim, which measures 55" x 90" . It is transparent, allowing light to filter through while still providing the illusion of privacy. Gold leaf and paint were applied using an ikat pattern.




At the Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse 2011, which closes May 26th, Miriam worked with interior designer, Celerie Kemble, to create a
verre eglomisé "Sky" ceiling. The glass panels measure 15' x 17' and are not only a thing of beauty, but also must have been an amazing feat to install! It consists of 22-karat gold leaf, lemon gold leaf, palladium leaf, micas and paint applied to the reverse side of the glass in chinoiserie manner.




Wow!


Corner close-ups:



Here are a few of the many projects that Miriam has done:

Love the herringbone pattern on the right!


Miriam occasionally teaches verre eglomisé classes for the Society of Gilders. You can bet I will be there!

[1-3,4,5,6,7-10]

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous post! My brother took her class in the last SOG conference -- his sample and post-works always thrill me. That is one of the most beautiful ceilings I've ever seen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking about doing a glass ceiling with Melanie Royals. I knew it could be done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, that ceiling is worth it's weight in gold and more! I have to pick my jaw up.......

    Ok, I'm back. That is amazing and I am SO glad you featured it!

    XO,

    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann
    this is all so beautiful.. how I would love to have that map.. I once saw artwork that was painted on the back of glass.. it was a traditional art form from?? can't remember where.. Poland? Hungary... either way it was fascinating and I have never forgotten it... this does remind me of it...

    Thanks for the kind words my way.. I live 2 blocks from the beach.. sadly no view at present.. but when it's not raining I like to get down there..

    Have a great week.. ciao xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - WOW !!!!
    What an amazing work! Just simply stunning.
    karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been checking out a few of your stories and i can state pretty good stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog
    Textured Glass Design

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discovered the people at GMRgold to become educated, as well as useful whilst giving absolutely no stress guidance. There aren’t many companies you can call these days without feeling such as someone’s trying to get the actual press on you. They made welcome me, gave me some understanding, as well as prolonged the invite to anytime along with any question. Their prices tend to be comparable, and the men are honest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The superb highly informative blog I’m about to share this with all my contacts.rent-a-tribe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want more and more articles and blogs please post soon such informative information.lender mark curry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post  750ml Bottles

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...