Friday, July 29, 2011

Definitely Dahlias

One of our favorite and reliable blooms in the garden is the dahlia. We plant the tubers in May and by the end of July, they are blooming away. They usually require staking as they do get tall, but they reward you with their beauty.


This dahlia is taller than I am and the blooms are 7-8 inches across. Fortunately, it is sheltered by the citrus tree. The lime green zinnias are beginning their blooms in front of it. We dig out the tubers in the fall and store them in a cool (but not freezing) space all winter, keeping them barely damp. They just get bigger and better with age.


More varieties starting to flower...


One of my favorite containers is this big urn in the back. It holds plumbago, scaeveola, lantana, as well as verbena bonaris, angelonia and sweet potato vine.


Lantanas are a way-underused annual, in my opinion. It loves heat and sunshine, making it convenient during the hot months!


The hydrangeas are also in full swing, but sure do need lots of water!



That's OK, we comply!
What is blooming in your garden these days?


4 comments:

  1. your garden is gorgeous!, and little extra work with the dahlias (digging and storage) but they are so beautiful as is your potted urns...
    love to follow along and see what's newly blooming in your garden..
    best,
    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Annie, love your dahlias and the container, I have never seen the lantanas before but they are gorgeous, the hydrangeas too. I have had dahlias in the past but I'm too lazy to dig them out in the fall so they died. I have a friend that has the most amazing Zinnias and I'm in love with them, I'm planning on planting some next year. Your garden is amazing, must be very big.
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, your garden is so beautiful! We don't know how you do it. Hope you have a great weekend!
    Angela and Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hydrangea is my favorite. Yours are beautiful!! I just planted 5 or 6 along the side of our entry hoping that they will be happy next year... Just gorgeous!

    Best,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...