Friday, July 22, 2011

Dog Days of Summer

Not everything wilts in this sultry heat of summer's dog days. The lilies are all exploding with blooms and softly scenting the air.


If you are looking for a reliable blooming plant year after year, then plant a lily bulb or ten. It couldn't be easier: dig a hole, place the bulb in and that's it! Their first year is not impressive, but they just get better year after year.  


This is also the time of year to continue to sow seeds. They pop up very quickly now as the soil is nicely warmed up. We planted lettuce and arugula here as a flower bed border a couple of weeks ago and are harvesting our salads nightly now. The terra cotta pot on the left hosts more basil for the fall pesto. 


We have visitors in town: the cicadas just arrived. The singing is getting loud outside!



Stay cool!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,
    I love lilies, I have native lilies which are very hard to control, they spread badly. I also have asiatic (yellow and pink) Love those cicadas or "cigarras" as we call them, when I was little I used to read this book about a cicada and an ant,(here in the US is the grasshopper and the ant) it was my favorite book, I like to hear the singing of the cicadas in the morning.
    Have a great weekend!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exquisite photos, especially the first and last. I plant my lilies in pots - they love it, actually get better the more pot-bound they are - and that solves the spreading problem too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love lilies and you are right in that they are quite heat tolerant..looking calm, cool and collected through the heat of July...
    and I love how you've arranged your lettuce bed as a border..wonderful kitchen garden...
    I have yet to hear any cicadas in my area...will wait and see...
    best,
    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cicadas are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lilies are beautiful, one of my favourites, and marvellour photos of the bug!
    :-)
    Dianne
    X

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...