Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pigments of the Imagination

Nothing captures my attention faster than the natural beauty of raw pigments. Not only because of their amazing colors, but also their potential. Morocco's markets must be quite the sights!




The hills of Provence, in southeast France, are where many of the ochre pigments are excavated. Specifically around Roussillon, which sits on top of Mont Rouge, the last ochre workshops were closed in 1950. The area has been a protected site since 1943.




These naturally occurring pigments in the ochre clay are washed off to separate them from the sand, then dried in the sun. The dried pigments are then cut into blocks and distributed for use. Ochre pigments are non-toxic and antiseptic, having been used since the beginning of time. Early settlers in North America referred to red Indians, not because of their skin color, but because of the use of ochres in their war paint.


The various pigment colors can be seen on the exterior of buildings, most notably in France, Greece, Morrocco and Italy. They are part of the reason we all fall in love with traveling there!    










I'd be hard pressed to choose my favorite color. 
What is yours?

To read further about ochre pigments, visit here. To purchase fabulous colors, visit here.

8 comments:

  1. My favorite color is definitely ochre! Just so natural.
    Very beautiful and stunning images!

    I love working with pigments, having only a small and basic collection/selection, I could certainly do with more!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful pigments! I think the pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, I meant to say I like the pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have worked with pigments before, they are used to color soap and I love the results, kind of pricey but good. I love all the colors, I wouldn't know which one to choose.
    I hope you had a great 4th of July!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  5. MAGICAL - Thanks :-)
    Dianne
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Annie...
    We are in smitten. The age of natural patina in priceless!
    XO,
    Renee and Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI ANN what a lovely post i love all the colours ,thy are so uplifting. LOve the pinks and sienas of Venice and also the coloured houses in various parts of London ans ALSO all the florentine shades of course Love fayxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Annie as colors are my life I don't think I can choose. I use so many colors in my paintings!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Do come and enter my giveaway from the Shabby Apple!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...