Thursday, April 19, 2012

Do You Compost?

I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I have never composted. That is about to change, but you would have thought I would have tried it long ago.


I would love to hear from you! Do you compost? 
What is your preferred method? 
Just a pile in the corner of the yard? Do you use a wood frame? Metal or wire frame? 
How often do you turn it? 
Do you add any bones to the pile?


Because our yard is rather petite and packed with plants, the compost pile will not have a very glamorous or large spot. We have great soil after years of faithfully adding more than a few inches of leaf humus over all of the beds, but it has been bothering me for a long time every time I throw out all those veggie peels that could be giving back over time.
So, this is the year!

The main challenge we'll have is to urge our dog to avoid crashing into the compost pile as she races around the yard!

What do you think?

[1,2]

1 comment:

  1. Yes, definitely compost! We discard everything from the kitchen including bones, but we have so many animals here that nearly everything is devoured. We tried a big ugly plastic barrel but I didn't care for it. In Autumn we mow over the fallen leaves repeatedly so they turn to a fine mulch for the lawn and trees and spread some in the gardens.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...