Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Wisteria on Steroids

I have mentioned my appreciation of wisteria blooms before, a plant that I have only admired from afar and have never actually grown. We just never seemed to have the right location for such an aggressive grower. Well, I think one of those spots has been located, two blocks from my home. I don't know how I could have possibly missed it before:


This specimen has to be at least forty feet high, but I suspect it is even taller than that. I am standing at the base, shooting straight up.

This is only part of the vine's trunk (in the foreground):


The winds were quite brisk today, so if the blooms seem a bit out of focus, well, they probably are!



No wonder wisteria can force a roof right off of the building it covers! 
Apparently this tree does not mind at all.

6 comments:

  1. How fantastic Annie.. I don't think I have ever seen a wisteria quite this big!! Beautiful,. and wild!.. I'm used to seeing the smaller variety growing on pergolas.. now i'll have to keep an eye out for these monsters.

    Have a great week.. ciao xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness this is a monster, but so very pretty! I love an old wisteria, carefully pruned and coaxed around a veranda and over a pergola. But alas, as much as I've tried to tame our wisteria, it manages to beak free. Currently it is lifting the roof tiles on the second storey of our house. Merde!
    Warm wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the look of wisteria, but I hadn't learned until recently how aggressive it is, I guess it's safe to say (by the look of this monster) you should probably keep it away from a house!...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Wisterias! Especially when climbing up trees, what a wonderful natural look.

    We cannot have them, they don't like very much our lime soil....(:

    k

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very amazing and natural look of wisteria. Is it safe for kids?

    pergolas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have mentioned my appreciation of wisteria blooms before, a plant that I have only admired from afar and have never actually grown. We just never seemed to have the right location for such an aggressive grower. asia pharma

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...