Monday, August 1, 2011

Bamboozled Tomaters

I don't know about you, but I hate to be any more of a slave to my garden than necessary. I am willing to water so that the plants thrive, but I refuse to water the grass. (Sorry, neighbors!) I weed enough so that the plants don't have stiff competition and to avoid embarrassment at my lack of care. But when it comes to staking the tomatoes, I have little patience.


 Our tomatoes hit the jackpot this year. Pieter had the brilliant suggestion to use the now dried lengths of bamboo that had been sitting around since last year when he used them, cut fresh and green, as part of the decor for an event. The lengths are about 8 feet tall and we drove them into the ground next to the plants a week or two after we planted them.


Well, it works! The tomatoes have responded by entwining with the small bamboo arms that go up the length of each stick. After the initial encouragement by us, we have maybe spent five minutes more this summer staking them. 



And now our tomato plants are over seven feet tall, with most of the fruits at arm's height. Nice!


Now I just have to figure out how to stake up the lime green zinnias so we can cut the grass without performing acrobatic tricks or mowing down the offending stems! 


Any ideas?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Annie, your tomato plants look so lovely, really decorative! I think I can help re the zinnias - we always use plant supports (http://www.plantsupports.co.uk/) they are green half hoops on legs which come in packs and hold back floppy foliage! We couldn't do without them! I hope the link works and that you're able to find something similar in your area! Warmest of wishes - Glenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann, Maybe those temporary, green wire fences (Wallmart), only 2 feet tall, would help. I use them wherever and whenever needed.
    Great idea you have come up with for the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, thanks for the great advice on staking tomatoes. Tips like this are so helpful...we don't have a lot of extra time to spend in the garden.
    Happy Monday! Angela and Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie,
    Looks like you are going to have a bumper tomato harvest :-)
    Dianne
    YONKS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tomatoes look great and are nice and tall. Mine all fell over and had to be propped up with stakes. Next year I'm going to do something different and when they are small!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...