Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Flower Power

Now I understand why the perfume industry selected the scent of Night Blooming Jasmine as the most sensuous fragrance in the world! I guess that reveals that I am a Northern girl, having never smelled this particular jasmine before.
 
Flowers have opened- taken at 11 p.m.

We brought home this new-to-us jasmine plant with large, healthy green leaves, a hearty attitude and no tag, appreciating that it grew so quickly and happily. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever bloom. Ha! A few nights ago, we walked back into the house via the deck after we had watered the veggies. I smelled this amazing scent, but couldn't figure out what it was. I finally tracked the scent down to these tiny little flowers on the unknown jasmine. It was a heady experience.




Night Blooming Jasmine, also known as Cestrum Nocturnum, Lady of the Night and Queen of the Night, is native to the West Indies. It technically is not a jasmine member of the Jasminum family, but rather a member of the nightshade (Solanaceae) family. It can be difficult to eradicate and in New Zealand, it is considered a seriously invasive grower.

 Flowers have closed up for the day- taken at 8 a.m.

The flowers do not have a scent during the daylight hours and actually close up, as you can see above. For a further explanation on the reasons why the flowers only have a night scent, read here. I happen to love this scent. It is powerful for sure, complex and rich. In small doses. 

Do you like the Night Blooming Jasmine?
Joining Cindy at My Romantic Home!

 [3]

10 comments:

  1. I can feel the smell all the way to Sweden! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the strong heady smell of this unassuming plant. It's usually included in power woman scents, the chypres I love!
    Right up my street with this one Annie.
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love jasmine and on these hot summer days it is refreshing scent. This plant would also make a beautiful botanical.

    Have a Wonderful Wednesday!

    XO,
    Renee and Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. The post was professionally written and I feel like the author has extensive knowledge in this subject. Great post about this. I am sure many visitors will find this very useful.
    florist online

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to make sure that it is very important to see whether or not his is something that is going to improve in many way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information which i found very interesting to read.
    perawatan kolam renang |
    kontraktor kolam renang

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Interior Kontraktor Jakarta | Interior Design Jakarta

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have this in my house backyard very beautiful smell night blooming flower

    Truth About Cellulite

    ReplyDelete
  9. It takes immense knowledge to produce this piece of art.
    flower wallpaper download

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...