Monday, August 22, 2011

Gourd Walk

I can honestly tell you that even being an avid gardener, I have never considered growing gourds. Over the weekend, as we were leaving the restaurant and returning to our car in the back parking lot, we spied these long things hanging under a green "ceiling" of vines.


Turns out they were growing these gourds. They were totally hard to the touch and rather heavy.



I wouldn't know what to do with them, but it turns out that gourds have a huge fan following. The American Gourd Society is the go-to source of gourd knowledge and the annual gourd festival, the Ohio Gourd Show, is coming up on the weekend of September 24-25 in Greenville, Ohio.


Apparently one needs a rather strong structure to properly grow the larger gourds, which I cannot commit to. I guess I'll appreciate their beauty from afar!


Have you grown any gourds? What was it like?
[4,5]


2 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,
    I tried growing gourds twice, unfortunately they didn't grow big enough, probably I didn't have the right structure plus lots of grasshoppers that were eating the leaves. I really like the look of dried gourds, specially in the fall.
    Have a great week!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't tried growing gourds. Interesting!!

    Angela and Renee

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...